Sunday, October 3, 2010

Talking to Your Adopted Child About Their Birthmother...

Recently, I received an email from my daughter's teacher announcing she is pregnant with twins.  You could tell by the way she wrote this email announcement she was over joyed with excitement.  Ahhh... what joy and happiness!  (Children are a True Blessing)

I sat at my desk at work and my heart sank for my daughter...  I think it will be very obvious her teacher has a baby in her belly... or should I say, babies :)  My husband and I discussed thi,s and realized what a great opportunity this is to talk to Zoe about her birthmother and birth family.

We have talked many times about her birth-family and how her adoption story began...  Telling our children the truth in a sensitive way is freeing for them as they walk their journey of adoption.  Recently, while chatting with a friend of mine at work who is adopted... He told me how wonderful his parents were with his adoption and how special he felt that he was adopted and still does :)

In my daughter's book library... She has many great adoption books that will help understand the beautiful journey of adoption.  I feel forever blessed that Zoe is apart of our family, and we have been choosen from above to have an opportunity to parent, love, laugh, cry and experience this journey with our daughter.

Resources you may want to add to your child's book library:
Forever Fingerprints - Sherrie Eldridge
I Don't Have Your Eyes - Carrie Kitze
Tell Me Again the Day I Was Born - Jamie Lee Curtis
Mother's Bridge
http://www.journeytome.com/resources.cfm?content=Adoption Books

No comments: