Thursday, August 5, 2010

Brothers and Sisters of Adoption

Siblings and Adoption... Our daughter, Zoe, loves her big brother Troy. 

When we were getting ready to adopt Zoe I was a little concerned that the age difference between Troy and Zoe would be too much. (10) years to be exact.  Well... I was wrong!  I think the age difference is a blessing :) Troy and Zoe are very close... In fact, I need to remind Troy NOT to spoil Zoe so much.

In the beginning, Zoe did not much take to Troy... She would often look at him and cry and push him away.
I know this hurt Troy's feelings but he kept trying to connect with her, and built the trust in their relationship.

Recently, Troy went away to high school camp... Zoe would often go into his bedroom and tell us how much she missed her big brother.  Zoe often follows her big brother around and looks up to him.  She has a strong bond with him and wants to be with all the time.

The day finally came when we could drive up to camp and pick up Troy.  Zoe was so excited that morning... It was so cute!   When we arrived she saw him hanging out with other high school kids; girls and boys.  I told her wait... let's all walk up to Troy.  (knowing how sensitive teenager's can be at times)
Zoe looked at me and said; "Mom, I know my big brother missed me". 

Zoe was glued to her big brother the entire time we were at camp... holding his hand, sitting on his lap.  It was so cute and made me smile to see the attachment she has to her big brother.

We have came along way in 5 years... Attachment is a journey and siblings need time to connect with each other.  A great resource for siblings and adoption is;

Brothers and Sister's of Adoption - By Arleta James
This book gives you insight into sibling and adoption... This is a must read!
http://www.journeytome.com/resources.cfm?content=Adoption Books


No comments: