Friday, July 23, 2010

Does Race Matter...



Recently, while shopping with my daughter we stopped to get a bite to eat at the "food court" which is not my favorite place to eat... but it is Zoe's. Panda Express is her favorite place to eat:)

After we finished eating, I asked Zoe if she would like to clear the table and throw out the trash.She eagerly jumped up and started clearing the table.  Watching her skip off to the trash container happily made me smile... All the sudden on her way back to our table... she stopped and stared at a Asian family eating lunch together.  I was wondering what she was doing... I walked up to her and she had a sad look on her face. 
This made my heart sad for her... I know she was thinking of her birth-family and what that would feel like living with them.  I asked Zoe if she was thinking of her birth-family in China and she said yes...

I asked Zoe if she wanted to talk about it and she said no... Later that night while tucking her into bed I asked her about our time shopping together.  Zoe opened up about being Chinese and how she wonders about her special family in China.  We had a great conversation about our differences and her strengthens and how much we are blessed to have her in our family.

I know it is important to have these conversations for her healing and her confidence.  This is her journey and I am here to help her along the way.

This would not be possible without the help from my dear friend, Rhonda Roorda.  Rhonda is an adoptee who was trans racially adopted.  She is an amazing author and a huge heart for adoptees.  Rhonda's books are a must read.... Take the time to understand your child and get educated.

In Their Own Voices


No comments: