Friday, July 2, 2010

My Journey to adoption... It's a family thing!

Many of you may not know that my journey began many years ago in 1942... When a little blond haired boy holding his older brother's hand...was walked into an orphanage in Minneapolis and left their to live.  That little boy was my Dad! 

While getting ready to adopt Zoe, I asked my Dad if he would like to travel to China with us... The phone became silent and he said... no.  I asked why and he replied, I will never forget the sound and smell of an orphanage.  This brings back to many bad memories for me.  I just can't go with you to China...

You see, my Dad, was in his late 60's when he told me this.  The trauma, grief and loss were still seared in his memory.  This shocked me, and made think of my daughter Zoe...  How long will she carry her losses with her?  Today, she still has triggers from the orphanage.  I am blessed that God has showed me them...  Meeting our children where they are at... is critical for their healing.  This is not my journey but my daughters.

Today, my Dad and Zoe share a special bond together... I think they understand each other's wounds.
What a gift from God, and to think he planned this way back in 1942. 

Understanding our child's grief and loss is critical for their success. 

If you want to learn more about trauma, grief and loss... listen to our latest audio with Juli Alvarado. Listen Here

No comments: